Homicidal Jealousy Annotated Bibliography

697 Words3 Pages
Homicidal Jealousy There are many factors that contribute to the aspect of homicides and how they are somehow caused and linked to jealousy within families. Some of those factors include, family orientation, socio-economic status, and social structures or demographics. Diem and Pizarro (2010) discussed the relationship between social structures and family homicides or familicides and how family homicides are brought on by demographics within the household. Diem and Pizarro (2010) also discussed the broadly different types of family homicide such as the murder of a parent by an offspring (parricide), the murder of offspring by parent (filicide), the murder of a sibling (siblicide) and murder of a spouse (intimate partner homicide. Jealousy,…show more content…
This statement can be seen as problematic because it is gender specific and focuses on the male in the relationship being the offender and the female in the relationship being the victim, which is not always the case. Within the results of their literature, Liem, Levin, Holland and Fox (2013) discovered out of 629 retrieved cases involving family homicides, 33% of the cases were intimate partner related and the other 67% of cases discovered were not intimate partner related. The bulk of research within this study showed family homicides are more likely to occur between siblings and related family members, such as cousins, uncles and in-laws as an act of jealousy or rivalry (Liem, et al. 2013). Jealousy is an evil trait to portray and the majority of the people living in our society have seen just have malicious it can be. In a review on explaining domestic homicides, Keetly (2008) noted that jealousy has become an increasingly more prevalent motive in domestic violence and family…show more content…
A siblicide can be described as the killing or murder of one sibling by another sibling, whether that is the killing of one’s brother (fratricide) or one’s sister (sororicide) (Diem & Pizarro, 2010). In their review on the social structures and family homicides, Diem and Pizarro (2010) discussed that the results of siblicides are related to sibling rivalry, stress and jealousy. These particular characteristics can be related within any type of family homicide, yet is seems to be more prevalent within siblings. There will always be an aspect of competition within sibling relationships that can lead to rivalries, thus leading to drastic situations such as homicides. Diem and Pizarro (2010) noted that as siblings grow into adulthood and are still living within the same community, the environment could intensify the competition of power, statues and prestige. Many of these stressors added to the competition that is already prevalent can potentially lead to family homicides, such as

    More about Homicidal Jealousy Annotated Bibliography

      Open Document