Is Raw Diet Better?
Zhang Yushan 3035087069
The raw foods movement has been going on for quite a while. Proponents believe that food is better eaten in its natural unprepared state, with all the enzymes intact. They believe cooking "kills" the food. It obliterates essential vitamins and enzymes that enhance vitality. So why have we cooked food for thousands of years? Is it a mistake?
This poster will try to find out whether raw diet is really better for human.
About Raw Diet
Raw food in the raw diet: Food that hasn’t been "heated, processed, microwaved, irradiated, genetically engineered, or exposed to pesticides or herbicides"². It includes fresh fruits, berries, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and herbs in their whole, natural state.…show more content… Raw food does not contain enough energy for human brains⁷.
Raw food is more likely to contain pathogenic bacterium than cooked food. Raw diet involves higher health risk such as food poisoning².
The digestive system of human has already evolved a lot after consuming cooked food for thousands of years, and is no longer suitable for digesting raw food after the long-lasting evolution. Arguments
Raw diet is one of the most effective tools for weight loss.
Raw diet provides enzymes that are essential to healthy digestion. It can also benefit the cardiovascular system and prevent diabetes².
The digestive system of human had been in place long before the practice of cooking food began. We are flouting our biological heritage by cooking our food⁸.
No other animals cook their food, and no other animals, besides human, experience diseases on the scale that we do.
Will you lose weight?
We can only say: very likely. Research suggests that those who follow the raw diet ingest only half of the calories they would eat on a cooked…show more content… Mainly eat cooked food and try to control the intake of fat by following the accepted dietary guidelines.
When eating raw, try to avoid those with high risks, such as uncooked meat, fish, milk, or eggs.
1. . "Cooked versus raw foods." from http://www.natural-cancer-cures.com/cooked-versus-raw.html.
2. . "Raw Food Diet." 2014, from http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/raw-food-diet.
3. Bren, L. (2004). Got Milk? Make Sure It's Pasteurized. FDA Consumer: 29.
4. Caroline La, L. A. (2014). "3 Reasons No One Should Be On A Raw Foods Diet." from http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-13454/3-reasons-no-one-should-be-on-a-raw-foods-diet.html.
5. Elert, E. (2012). "Infographic: How A Raw Food Diet Kept Primates Stupid." from http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-10/human-ancestors-raw-diet-meant-tough-tradeoffs-between-brawn-and-brains.
6. Fat and Its Effects On Weight Loss. http://www.omega-oils-health.com/fatsandweightloss.html
7. Gibbons, A. (2012). "Raw Food Not Enough to Feed Big Brains." from http://news.sciencemag.org/evolution/2012/10/raw-food-not-enough-feed-big-brains.
8. Marina. "BASIC RAW FOOD FAQ." from