Advantages And Disadvantages Of Turmeric

1057 Words5 Pages
1.2.1 Origin Turmeric is a rhizomatous herbaceous plant botanically known as Curcuma longa. The tuberous rhizomes or underground stems of turmeric are used from antiquity as condiments, a dye and as an aromatic stimulant in several medicines. 1.2.2 Cultivation Turmeric cultivation is confined to South-east Asian countries such as India, Sri Lanka, China, Indonesia, Australia, Africa, Peru and the West Indies. The main growing states in India are Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Orissa, and Kerala. Turmeric requires a hot and moist climate. It thrives the best on loamy or alluvial, loose, friable and fertile oils. It grows at all places ranging from sea level to an altitude of 1220m. It is very sensitive to low atmospheric…show more content…
Turmeric has been used since ancient period for medical purpose. It has several medicinal properties like stomachic, carminative, tonic, blood purifier, vermicide and antiseptic. The active constituent of turmeric is curcumin, which has a wide range of therapeutic effects. Because it is a strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, it protects against free radical damage and accomplishes this by reducing histamine levels and possibly by increasing production of natural cortisone by the adrenal glands. Curcuma also protects the liver from a number of toxic compounds. It avoids platelets from clumping together, which improves circulation and helps protect against…show more content…
Other major exporters are Thailand, other Southeast Asian countries, Central and Latin America and Taiwan. United Arab Emirates is the major importer of turmeric from India accounting for 18 percent of the total exports followed by United States of America with 10 percent. The other leading importers are Bangladesh, Japan, Sri Lanka, United Kingdom, Malaysia, South Africa, Netherland and Saudi Arabia. All these countries together account for 75 percent of the world imports and Asian countries are the main suppliers to the entire world. The remaining 25 percent is met by Europe, North America and Central and Latin American countries. United States of America imports 97 percent of its turmeric requirement from India and the remaining portion from the Islands of the Pacific and

More about Advantages And Disadvantages Of Turmeric

Open Document