Argumentative Essay On Domestic Violence

961 Words4 Pages
Domestic violence is a problem that has been plaguing societies for centuries. It has being statistically proven that the biggest targets of domestic abuse are women; with 85% of the victims in the world being women with the remaining 15% being men. The advertisement derives from The Salvation Army, an international charitable organisation whose devise is first and foremost to “do(ing) the most good.” The ad was released in early march by the South African branch of The Salvation Army, when the viral sensation, #thedress, sparked a massive online debate. The viral phenomenon is none other than a picture of a dress, which caused some people to perceive it as being black and blue and others to see it as being white and gold. The Salvation Army…show more content…
In this case, the “black and blue” that the heading theme is a direct reference to the bruises sported by victims of violence. The reason “it so hard to see” them is because women tend to hide their bruises for their own safety. "The only illusion is if you think it was her choice,” raises attention to the common misconception that it is the woman’s fault that they are continuing to experience domestic violence. People tend to think that if a woman is experiencing abuse their first reflex should be to leave the household immediately. However, they do not fully grasp the severity of these womens’ situation; failing to acknowledge how difficult it is for them to escape as well as how their fragile psychological state is impacting their decisions. In mentioning the statistic “One in six women are victims of abuse,” the organization helps the audience get a measure of how common and widespread this crime truly is. “Stop abuse against women". This is a powerful and concise sentence; almost a command; that helps to effectively convey The Salvation Army’s message. Under in a smaller font is the number of a domestic abuse hotline in Cape Town, encouraging those who view to propaganda to contact the agency in case they witness suspicious behavior or suffer from domestic violence

More about Argumentative Essay On Domestic Violence

Open Document