Problems Of Environmental Pollution

740 Words3 Pages
Ans. J.P Brans in his article “Ethics and decision” in European Journal of Operation Research has emphasized that the effect of a decision is reaped not only by the decision maker but all those actors who have been involved in policy making and all those for which the decision is made. A huge amount of people are involved around a decision all of them deserving equal benefits, respect and regards. The final purpose of OR has always been to ensure welfare to mankind and not to enrich financial institutions or any industry. For instance considering a factory let say cement deciding to increase its productivity by increasing its working hours but it does not take into account the hazardous effect it will have on the environment by improving productivity.…show more content…
Environmental pollution consists of five basic types of pollution, namely, air, water, soil, noise and light.Pollution is the introduction of contaminants into the natural environment that cause adverse change.Pollution can take the form of chemical substances or energy, such as noise, heat or light. Pollutants, the components of pollution, can be either foreign substances/energies or naturally occurring contaminants. Pollution is often classed as point source or nonpoint source pollution.( Pollution has been increasing at an astronomical rate. In the western countries 12 tons of CO2 per capita are put into the atmosphere each year. According to Institute of Physics Environmental Reasearch letters over two million deaths occur each year as a result pf human caused outdoor air pollution. The estimated damage to the environment in 2008 by the “externalities” of the 3,000 largest public companies in the world topped $2.2 trillion, more than the economies of all but seven countries in the world. The heads of major corporations at the 2010 economic summit in Davos, Switzerland, were worried about the effect on their bottom lines if they have to stop damaging the environment, or if they are forced to pay for the pollution they create.( Jowitt, Juliette. “3,000 Companies Cause $2.2 Trillion in Environmental Damage – Every Year,” The Guardian, 2/18/10.). Only 8% of this emission is managed by Nature, the remaining 92% is accumulated in the atmosphere. According to an ongoing temperature analysis conducted by scientists at NASA’s Goddard institute for Space Studies (GISS), the average global temperatire on earth has increased by about 0.8 Celsius since 1880. Two thirds of the warming has occurred since 1975, at a rate of roughly 0.15-0.20 C per

More about Problems Of Environmental Pollution

Open Document