By: Dallas Gillan
A. Attention Getter- Ruth Handler said “My whole philosophy of Barbie was that through the doll, the little girl could be anything she wanted to be. Barbie always represented the fact that a woman has choices.”
B. Tie to the audience- When I was a young girl, most of my toys consisted of all kinds of Barbie dolls. The average young female in the United States is said to own at least eight Barbie dolls, and 95 percent of all young females have at least one. According to mybarbieworld.com, it is estimated that over a billion Barbie dolls have been sold worldwide in over 150 countries with three Barbie dolls being sold every second. How crazy is that!?
C. Purpose- The purpose of my speech today is to educate…show more content… Ruth would watch her daughter play with paper dolls. The idea for Barbie came along when Ruth saw Barbara and her friends used the paper dolls to play grown-up or teenage make-believe. They would use their imagination to give the dolls roles and careers such as college students or cheerleaders.
3. According to barbiemedia.com, Ruth was determined to fill that niche with a three-dimensional fashion doll.
C. Main Point Three- Finally, I would like to educate you on how Barbie has evolved over the years.
1. According to countoncross.wordpress.com, over the years Barbie has changed with the times. Her fashion, occupations, and ethnicity has been very obvious over the years but even her face and body has changed.
2. The first original Barbie wore a bathing suit and either came as a brunette or a blonde. Her facial features included eyes that looked to the side and eyebrows that had a high arch.
3. Through the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s, Barbie’s style and appearance slowly changed. She had different facial features, make-up, hair styles, and clothes that mostly reflected that decade. Even her mobility and ethnicity changed.
4. Today’s Barbie has a more athletic physique, her make-up is toned down to a more natural look, and her hair is a two-toned blonde. Also when the 2000’s hit, Barbie got her first belly button.