David Sirota's Kenneth Cole Gets Schooled

1588 Words7 Pages
Imagine yourself living in the Roaring Twenties. It was considered the golden decade during 1920’s. During this time, America was full of growth, prosperity, and was considered a new step into the future. Cars were built to go faster, and almost everyone was wealthy. It was a time full of exciting parties with the flapper girls, and a careless amusing time. The wealthy were obsessed with money, fame, materialistic items which made them turn into shallow and vain people. They drove fancy automobiles with the most elegant clothing. Nevertheless, the Roaring Twenties was the place to be. Everything just seemed perfect in addition to not having a single care in the world as long as you were rich, but doesn’t that seem biased towards the rich? What…show more content…
It is proven that over twenty percent of Forbs riches people were born rich. Being born rich has many advantages, but it takes away your chance to fully understand growing up through life with any struggle. Many things that people would work years for is giving to you on a silver platter. Prosperous people that are born into that lifestyle can never fully feel sorry for impecunious people considering that it’s hard to understand something that was never an issue for them. In David Sirota’s Kenneth Cole Gets Schooled, we learn that Kenneth Cole “sends his kids to a private school, making him part of the larger trend of elites who are trying to foist radical policies onto public schools, knowing their own kin won’t be hurt by those policies”( Sirota 762). Some would say that there is nothing wrong with sending your child to a private school because it’s a better education, but aren’t all schooled designed to teach the same curriculum? There is nothing wrong with wanting to send your child to a private school, but sending your child to one puts them at a disadvantage of seeing other kids unlike them. Going to a public school, not only allows you to meet different people from all walks of life, but doesn’t force you to categorize yourself based on your financial status. Kenneth Cole's children will more than likely grow up thinking that they are better than…show more content…
For those who do this, people may think are the poor are merely jealous of the rich. That is never the case, impecunious people only speak the truth to the harm that the rich do to us. Wealthy people don’t care about poor peoples lives when they have such perfect little fairy tale lives. In Joseph E. Stiglitz essay of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1%, he explains that "The top 1 percent have the best houses, the best educations, the best doctors, and the best lifestyles, but there is one thing that money doesn’t seem to have bought: an understanding that their fate is bound up with how the other 99 percent live" ( Stiglitz 752). I enjoyed how he believes that rich people have it all, but they don’t have the indigent people, who make up this worlds biggest percentage, beside them in their corner. I don’t enjoy how he assumes that all of the one percent are all cruel money hungry people. In fact, there are some rich people of that one percent that have done great things for the less fortunate individuals. Let's take Bill Gates, for instance, he has literally given half of a billion dollars to his scholarship foundation to help penurious people to be able to afford college because he knows from experience how hard it is to afford to go to college. He struggled being poor and is now one of the richest people in the world, so it is wrong to say that all of the rich are for themselves. There is a microscopic group of

    More about David Sirota's Kenneth Cole Gets Schooled

      Open Document