Canad's Culture: How Canadian People Protect Their Culture

749 Words3 Pages
I honestly believe that the Canadian people have every right to protect their culture so they don’t lose their identity. Canada is an independent country and very capable of taking care or handling its own affairs. As far back as 1920 the federal government of Canada had to impose a protective tax on foreign magazines. And in 1965 the government had to put an end to the split-run editions of other foreign-published magazines. The Canadian people wanted to maintain their cultural uniqueness and remove any foreign influence. The government of Canada felt threatened by the influx of foreign magazines which was influencing its culture in a negative way. Like the article stated 89 percent of magazines sold in Canada are foreign, therefore the remaining 11 percent is for…show more content…
The idea of levying extra tax against foreign magazines is to discourage them from selling their magazines in Canada. The Canadian people must consume what they produce. The local publishing companies must make money or they would close down and people will lose their jobs. Also the government decided to put the tax in place so it can help them protect the culture of the country. Plus the monies received from these foreign publishing companies could be used to develop the country. I would like to set up a committee to handle this issue and this is the criteria for identifying a domestic magazine. 1. The magazine must be Canadian owned and printed in Canada. 2. All the editorial and writing staff must be Canadian. 3. Domestic magazine will be allowed to include ten percent foreign material in their magazines. A magazine would be considered to be split-run if, 1. It is partly owned by a Canadian 2. Some of its material were written by Canadian freelance journalist leaving in America. 3. There will be a limit on the amount of copies split-run magazine would sell in Canada. For instance if they sold ten million copies before, they would now have to sell five million

    More about Canad's Culture: How Canadian People Protect Their Culture

      Open Document